Sunday 2 December 2007

Things that rock about Christmas

2
2nd December 2007
23 Days to go till Christmas

tlm fact: 2 weeks before starting university in 2003, I almost wrote off my brand new car. Since then I've driven 75,000 miles which is the same as driving round the world 3 times! During this time I've spent about
£9,000 on petrol and £6,500+ on car insurance. Despite that, I still enjoy driving and I've spent most of the 3000 or so hours i've been behind the wheel day dreaming (not the best idea whilst behind the wheel I admit), all sorts of things go through my head when I'm driving including lots of blog ideas, unfortunately I tend to forget them when I get out.



1) Christmas cake - quite possibly the best cake ever. Especially when there are huge amounts of icing and marzipan all over it.

2) Clementines/Satsumas - best fruit ever. They are always on offer in ASDA or Salisbury's and we buy them by the crate load. I don't even know if they're particularly christmassy but its a good enough excuse for me to binge on them.

3) Mince pies - oh my god, why don't they sell mince pies all year round. In previous years I have pretty much lived on mince pies from late November to January. Missbliss has tried to put a stop to that but I can often be seen munching on them. The thin ones from Salisbury's are my current favourite.

4) Presents - well it wouldn't be Christmas without them would it? It is always an excuse to buy presents for yourself too!

5) The Christmas cheer - it usually starts on the first of December, people can be heard humming Christmas songs to themselves, and most people just seem to be happier than usual. We went to a Christmas market last week and EVERYONE was smiling and generally being happy.

6) Christmas markets - mulled wine, dutch pancakes, mince pies, and hog roast, oh my god hog roast! *drools*

Leave a comment and tell me what you like about Christmas (if you don't like Christmas then go and watch the "Holidays are coming" advert until you've changed your mind!



8 comments:

Elaine said...

Today is the first Sunday in Advent and I have put a bridge of candles (electric) in my bedroom window and a gold basket of candles in my livingroom window.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Q: What hides in a bakery at christmas?

A mince spy!

David said...

Guys, guys, Christmas is almost a month away (well 3.5 weeks at least)! I have a week of term and 2 weeks of holiday revision before then!

I think my anti-christmas bitterness comes from having a mid December birthday and also being a tired (very tired at the moment) old git.

Also my christmas tree just gets in the way, and I haven't yet got around to buying presents or christmas cards, so I'm slightly panicked by everyone else's preparation!

Anna said...

Hey,

Thanks for having a looksie at my blog - I've been reading yours and mightily enjoyed your matching post to mine. Rock on the end of this damn degree and doing the actual job!

Although I am completely and utterly terrified about finals... If they never come around I'll be very happy.

One other thing that rocks about Christmas: fairy lights. Not that I restrict myself to once a year, but I love it when everyone else embraces the little twinkly lights of happiness. Ah.

ditzydoctor said...

i'd have to go with carols and cakes! and of course, the good ol' red and green trees we see - nothing makes me happier than those! ;)

and oh tlm, the first fact made me v sad. but it's wonderful you've grown past it! :D

ditzydoctor said...

i'd have to go with carols and cakes! and of course, the good ol' red and green trees we see - nothing makes me happier than those! ;)

and oh tlm, the first fact made me v sad. but it's wonderful you've grown past it! :D

ditzydoctor said...

i'd have to go with carols and cakes! and of course, the good ol' red and green trees we see - nothing makes me happier than those! ;)

and oh tlm, the first fact made me v sad. but it's wonderful you've grown past it! :D