Friday 9 November 2007

A few random thoughts

OK, So I should actually be in theatre at the moment but the surgeon has disappeared and I'm fed up of playing 'hunt the surgeon'! I've been sat here for 10 or 15 minutes thinking what shall I do, various options occurred to me and I even started a 70 question meme but it was going rather slowly and I was a bit bored so here are just a few of my random thoughts.

1. - Everyone seems to be particularly excited about Christmas this year, despite the fact that it's still 46? days or so away whispers of Christmas are everywhere. Its probably like this every year but I've never noticed such a buzz before.

2. - There was disappointment among my fellow students this week as news filtered out that we'd no longer be getting free coffee during PBL/lectures. Must be a cost-cutting exercise, although rumours are that it'll be back when the new building is ready (which is already 4-5 months behind schedule, I'll be surprised if I ever see it open whilst I'm here) Personally this news didn't bother me one little bit, I never drink coffee or tea so its a complete waste of money as far as I'm concerned. I'd much rather have my share in biscuits, sadly this doesn't seem to be allowed. My PBL tutor accused me of being a Mormon this week because I didn't drink any caffeine, I told him I just get my caffeine from other sources!

3. - Facebook is turning us into a nation of freaks. I registered on facebook in its very early days but its grown incomprehensibly since then. Almost everyone between the age of 17 and 23+ is on it, and you're seen as some kind of freak if you're not. Or maybe its 'cool' to shun this social networking phenomenon. No doubt about it, it is a useful tool which makes life easy for example sharing pictures and keeping in contact with far-away friends but at the same time it can be a real problem. Facebook 'stalking' everyone you've ever known is almost mandatory these days, and I can't help feeling a great deal of trouble is going to come of it. I'm not even going to mention all the ridiculous third party applications that have been added in recent months, they're almost enough to drive you insane. I'm fed up of being 'bitten' by someone using a vampire application or being invited to the "my little toe is bigger than your nipple" society. Get a grip people!

4. - If you're wrong, just admit it!

5. - IKEA is amazing, I love walking around, I love looking at the stuff, I love picking the flat-packs out of the warehouse, I love trying to cram the flat packs into the car, I love putting the flat-pack stuff together and I love standing back and admiring my new TV stand, bookcases, drawers and various other IKEA goodies.

6. - I'm a geek, but you know what? I don't really care what anyone else thinks.

7. - I'm hungry, time to get some food and go back to theatre. What a strange post.

3 comments:

Ms-Ellisa said...

Mmmm on 3 and 5.

Facebook would be nice if you would register with your school friends and stuff, people studying away etc. Blocking everyone else or sth :) I've signed out.

IKEA is my heaven. I once bought a small towel just to leave with my hands full.

Anonymous said...

I gotta agree with you on the Christmas buzz, maybe because this terms a lot longer than I'm used to?

As for FB, well I quite liked it when normal people couldn't sign up, but now it is a little bit, err...sinister? Needless to say I whacked the privacy settings up not that long ago.

IKEA is amazing. I love those Swedes.

PhD scientist said...

Hmm. Be warned you under 25-ers. Hanging out in Ikea and buying stuff is an early sign of the Change of Life. It goes with thinking about becoming a house-buyer, or at least with not moving every year.

Soon you too will be chained to a mortgage (manic laughter).

Anyway, remember, it starts with lampshades. Once you reach flatpack wardrobes you are GONE.