Wednesday 6 December 2006

So Much to Moan About...

I want to get stuck in, I want to blog, I've got a million things to talk about, but it'd be a bit silly of me to do one huge moan about everything I can think of. Likewise, it'll be a bit stupid if I spend the rest of today doing post after post on different things. This will be my last post of today, despite all the ideas in my head to blog about. Which topic to choose, could it be the awful psychiatry placement I've just finished? No, that's in the past, and would probably get me in trouble. Could it be medics? No, I'd probably end up alienating a good proportion of my potential audience. What about something non-medicine related? No, I'll save that for a rainy day. There is only one thing worthy enough to be my first 'official' moan...

My medical school! - For the past few years, I've often wondered why I even bothered applying here. Why? Because they're evil, some would say I'm just petty, bitter, or even just unlucky, but from my point of view, life as a medical student here sucks! Am I worried about getting in trouble for saying that? Perhaps, but I'm not going to lie, mention any names, or even hold a grudge. You might say I should be grateful for my place at medical school, and I am, it was one of the best days of my life when I got my results and realised I'd be able to fulfil my wish of going to medical school. Despite what I might sometimes say (and probably will say in future posts), I do, overall enjoy medical school, I find most of the stuff very interesting but probably don't work hard enough, although I've never had any trouble with exams as yet (touch wood.) So, what do I have to moan about? Well, as fellow medical students and doctors will be aware, life as a clinical medical student is usually based around a teaching hospital. One would think that these placements would be somewhere in the region of the medical school you originally applied to. Unfortunately my medical school seem to be unable to grasp the concept that I applied to university because that's where I wanted to be, and as a result, they decided to send me to a teaching hospital in a far away place. For 1 module I could understand, medical students should be used to being sent here there and everywhere, I could have even understood them rotating students around each teaching hospitals for a year at a time. But no, They decided, through a 'random' allocation process to send me 40 miles away, with none of my friends, to a teaching hospital in a completely different city for the the 3 of my clinical years. I now have no link whatsoever to my original university of choice, except when I visit biannually to sit exams, fucking ridiculous. What really bothers me about this, is the allocation process wasn't random at all, I told the medical school this when I appealed against the decision but they just laughed at me. 2 years later they publicly apologise because of an error found in this 'random' process which meant it was biased in exactly the way I'd told them it was 2 years previously and they wouldn't even apologise to me despite having completely ruined my university life and cost me thousands of pounds in petrol. The medical school hates me, but I can safely say that feeling is mutual!

Now I've got that off my chest I can breathe again, its not very interesting but its about the biggest thing I've got to moan about and is the main reason why I'm often disillusioned with medicine. (what on earth will I be like as a Doctor?) I promise that future posts will be more interesting and more relevant to whats happening in the world.

Finally, and on a more positive note, I'd like to say thank you to a few of my blogging colleagues for inspiring me and keeping me amused. As I go on I'll be collecting a list of links to blogs which have inspired me or amused me in one way or another.

1 comment:

The Angry Medic said...

And so another angry medic is born...

woohoo! I like the way you're shaping up. Looks like you've got lots of material for rants. I'll be here to prod you and make sure you don't lose steam this time :)

I've added you to my blogroll. Keep it up, mate!