Wednesday 21 February 2007

Exams and vaginas.

I've not blogged for about 10 days! The main reason for that links to my last post about technical support. The laptop in question got shipped off to them at the start of last week and we're still awaiting its return.

Today was exam results day and I'm delighted to say I passed! I can't quite believe it. I must actually know more than I think I do or I was just lucky. It was after all, multiple choice. I didn't just pass, I got Honours. Now I don't really care about getting Hons other than because our academic rankings for foundation applications are based on these arbitrary cut off points. As long as I don't make a tit of myself and screw things up in the upcoming exams I'll be firmly where I want to be rankings wise which gives me a decent opportunity when it comes to picking where I want to work. To be honest I think its all a bit stupid, had I got 1 less multiple choice question right, I'd have been graded as satisfactory rather than honours, ultimately this could have resulted in me missing out on the higher quartile for the academic ranking, costing me 5 points on my foundation application leading to me ending up somewhere ridiculous. All because I guessed A, instead of B for one of the many questions I had no idea about. It doesn't really measure my competence, it barely even measures my knowledge but I guess a line has to be drawn somewhere.

I'm coming towards the end of my paediatric firm, I've actually really enjoyed it. I wasn't expecting to like it quite as much as I have. Although that might be more to do with the consultant than paediatrics itself. Next up, 6 weeks of obs & gynae, I expect about 70% (at least) of that time will be spent sat outside consultation rooms/theatres/whatever. I don't blame anyone for not wanting male or even female medical students ogling their bits, if I was a woman it'd be a definite NO! I had better find myself an interesting book. I don't expect I'll enjoy obs and gynae but that is my last major rotation this year and the last compulsory module of the whole course. Next year we have some choice in what we do!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am officially jealous of your honours point. I am struggling to look anything other than average.

Oh well :)

Phoenix said...

congrats on the honours score, hope you continue that way!

Anonymous said...

Where is the vagina?